These cute little gluten free vegan lemon and blueberry polenta cakes are so easy to make. I sandwiched them together with lemon buttercream icing.
This is a recipe from How Not to be a Skinny Vegan which I found when trying to develop a lemon polenta cake. The recipe is great – easy to follow producng a light, lemony, delicious cake. If blueberries are not in season this cake stands up really well as a lemon polenta cake.
100 g sugar
100 g gfv margarine
2 tsp ground flaxseed
4 tbs water
100 g ground almonds
90 g polenta
1 tsp gfv baking powder
1 lemon (grated rind and juice)
100 ml soya yoghurt
100 g blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 C
2. In a mixing bowl cream together sugar and butter
3. In a small cup or bowl whisk together the flaxseed and water until thick and creamy. Add 2 tbs of the ground almond meal and whisk again until it thickens a bit more. Add this to butter/sugar
4. Stir in rest of almond meal, polenta, baking powder and lemon rind and juice until combine. Stir in yoghurt until combined. Finally, stir in half of the blueberries
5. Press mixture into a pre-greased loaf tin. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top and press lightly into mixture. Bake for 45 minutes
6. If you make muffins rather than a loaf reduce to oven temp to 160 C and check the cakes after 40 mins.