Quick, simple, nutritious and delicious tofu noodle soup is my favourite of all soups. Gluten free and vegan tofu noodle soup is one of my easy recipes and a very hearty recipe for soup.
Frozen edamame beans are available from most supermarkets and certainly readily available from oriental supermarkets. Ready cooked tofu is also readily available from oriental supermarkets and health food stores (avoid supermarket tofu if you can it does not compare well to that available in specialist shops).
Sesame seeds are a great store cupboard stand by. Toast sesame seeds in large batches and store in an airtight container and use as required.
This is substantial enough to have as a main meal but for a more substantial dinner party try Vietnamese salad as a starter and tofu noodle soup as a main.
100 g rice noodles (the very thin ones often called thread noodles)
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 spring onions
2 cm grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic
2 red chillies or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tbs tamari
Handful frozen edemame beans
1 packet ready fried tofu pieces
500 ml hot water
1 tbs gfv miso
0.5 lime (juiced)
Handful of chopped coriander
1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
1. Cook the rice noodles according the the packet (often you only need to soak the noodles in warm water
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and skin and crush the garlic
3. Add the chopped spring onions, grated ginger (hold back a little of the spring onion and grated ginger for garnish) and garlic cook for 1-2 mins stirring constantly
4. Add the chilli and tamari and stir then the hot water
5. Slice the tofu pieces in to bite size chunks and add to the pan with the edamame beans bring to a simmer
6. Turn off the heat and add the miso, coriander (hold a little back for garnish) and lime and stir well
7. Place the rice noodles in serving bowls and add the soup to the bowls
8. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the soups, garnish with coriander, chopped spring onion and grated ginger and serve.