Lentil and mushroom soup is a great gluten free vegan winter warmer. Adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe. Great with gfv flat bread. This also works great with a fresh sprig of rosemary (instead of parsley) added at step 3. (don’t forget to remove the stalk at the end).
Soups are great as a snack or the prelude to a larger dinner. You can take a soup recipe and adapt it to your taste or the contents of your fridge or cupboard.
Great as a starter to a main such as chestnut and lentil bake or lentil and pumpkin seed roast.
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 small dried chilli or 0.5 tsp red chilli flakes
150 g mushrooms – sliced
1 tsp tamari (or other gfv soya sauce)
1 can of green lentils (drained and rinsed)
1.5 tsp gfv vegetable stock powder
1 l water (approximately)
Handful chopped parsley
0.5 lemon (juiced)
0.5 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
0.5 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1. Put the oil in a pan on a low heat
2. Chop the onions and soften in the oil
3. Add the chopped garlic and chilli cook for 1-2 mins (do not allow the garlic to brown)
4. Add the sliced mushrooms stir, cover and cook on a low heat for approx. five mins.
5. Add the tamari, lentils, stock powder and water. Simmer on a very low heat for approx. 15 minutes
6. Add lemon juice and chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.