This creamy mushroom soup is a really quick and delicious vegetarian, gluten free, recipe. It is a real winter warming soup recipe that will go with lots of different food. Cooking this soup is so easy and straightforward.
If you prefer a smooth texture you can add the soup to a blender at the end.
1 tbs oil (e.g. rapeseed oil)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp mustard powder
250 g mushrooms
300 ml soya milk (or non-sweetened gfv milk of you choice)
1 tsp tamari (or other gluten free soya sauce)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the oil in to a pan on a low heat
2. Skin and crush/ finely chop the garlic cloves and add to the pan – do not allow the garlic to colour (this adds a bitter note to any dish)
3. Slice the mushrooms and add to the pan (a combination of sliced and finely chopped mushrooms adds an interesting texture to the dish)
4. Cover the pan and cook the mushrooms on a very low heat until they change texture and begin to give out moisture (usually around 4 minutes)
5. Add the mustard powder and stir well. Cook for 1-2 mins. Add the soya milk, tamari and black pepper and simmer on a very low heat for a further 5-10 minutes
6. Check for seasoning and serve.
7. If you would like a smoother soup take out a spoonful of sliced mushrooms and blend the remainder before adding the sliced mushrooms.