Perfect quinoa every time!
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a complete protein and this is what makes it an excellent gluten free vegan side dish. How to cook quinoa? Quinoa is so easy to cook and if you follow the method below you will have nutty, fluffy, light, quinoa every time. Boiling quinoa like rice tends to make it taste like wallpaper paste. Toasting the quinoa first adds a lovely depth of flavour.
Quinoa is one of the few recipes on this site where volume is used as a measure.
1 cup of quinoa
1 tsp gfv bouillon powder
2 cups of boiling water
1. Place the quinoa in a heavy bottomed pan over a low heat and toast gently until the quinoa changes colour slightly and you can smell it toast. This should take three to four minutes
2. Carefully add one cup of boiling water to the pan. Stand back as the pan will be very hot and it will spit and boil vigorously
3. Stir in the gfv bouillon powder and the other cup of water
4. Place a lid on the pan and simmer very gently until the water has been absorbed (approx. 10 mins)
5. Once the water has been absorbed turn off the heat and leave the lid on the pan for a further five mins
6. Stir the quinoa and serve.