These fried aubergine slices (eggplant slices) are a great vegetarian gluten free accompaniment to lentil dal, tzatziki (with mint) and plain rice. Yummy. Make sure the aubergines are cooked right through – you can tell by the way the surface of the aubergine will caramelise and the texture of the aubergine changes (they become very soft and gooey).
The aubergine recipe (eggplant recipe) is really simple to follow. You could also use courgettes (zucchini) in place of aubergine as a side dish.
1 large aubergine
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground turmeric
0.5 tsp chilli powder
vegetable oil for shallow-frying
1 lemon – juiced
1. Slice the aubergine lengthways into quarters and cut, crossways, into 1 cm thick wedges and put in a large bowl
2. In a small bowl, mix together the salt, turmeric and chilli powder. Sprinkle over the aubergine wedges and mix well
3. Put about 1 cm oil in a 20–23 cm frying pan over a medium heat until the oil is hot. Add as many aubergine slices as the pan will hold in a single layer (do not crowd the pan). Cook until reddish-gold on one side. Then turn the slices over and continue frying until similarly coloured. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread out on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Keep warm as you fry the rest of the aubergine
4. Cook the remaining aubergine in batches adding more oil to the pan if needed
5. Once the aubergine is cooked sprinkle with the lemon juice and garnish with coriander.