This gluten free vegan salted caramel sauce is great with gluten free vegan ice cream. It is rich and salty and sweet and yummy!!! My favourite recipe for ice cream sauces. You can serve as a hot sauce or cold sauce.
200 ml freshly boiled water
400 g unrefined sugar
100 g creamed coconut (the stuff in a block)
0.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp fleur de sel or maldon sea salt
1. Put the creamed coconut in a jug with the boiling water and dissolve the coconut in the water
2. Place the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and place on a low heat until the sugar melts. Do not stir (you can swirl but don’t stir)
3. Gently cook the sugar until it reaches 180 C and remove from the heat (no stirring!)
4. Add the coconut mixture to the sugar solution and stand back (it will bubble violently)
5. Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir well
6. Allow to cool and refrigerate until needed (it will thicken as it cools)
7. Serve with ice cream.