This delicious gluten free vegan rich tomato sauce is really good as a sauce for pasta (gluten free vegan pasta), with potato gnocchi, as a dip or poured over roasted vegetables. You can even use it as a sauce for pizza (using a gfv pizza base). As a basic pasta sauce recipe you cannot beat this. Easy and delicious.
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs olive oil
0.5 tsp dried red chilli (or to taste)
0.5 tsp dried oregano
0.5 tsp dried basil
1 tin whole plum tomatoes in juice
Handful of fresh basil
1. Warm the olive oil in a pan
2. Skin and chop the garlic and add to the pan (do not allow the garlic to brown)
3. Add the dried herbs and chilli and gently fry for 1-2 mins
4. Add the tin of whole plum tomatoes and juice. Stir gently to mix and careful not to break up the tomatoes. Simmer gently for 40-50 mins. The sauce will reduce and become thicker
5. Take the sauce off the heat and either use a hand blender to break down the tomatoes or do this by hand with a wooden spoon (some people like to take out the tomato cores first – a good idea)
6. Add a pinch of sugar and the roughly chopped basil.