Guacamole! So easy, so good, and naturally gluten free and vegan!!! Any mention of dips cannot be made without talking about guacamole! Dips IS guacamole. Most shop bought guacamole has creme fraiche (why?!?) added to it for some unfathomable reason. But this is a million times better anyway. Great as a side to Mexican bean pot and plain rice or as part of a vegetarian meze plate with potato wedges, chopped green and root salad, cornbread and houmous.
Be sure to find good quality, ripe, avocados. Guacamole goes really well with all rice and bean dishes.
2 large ripe avocados
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium sized red or green chilli (or less if you want it less spicy)
Handful chopped coriander (optional)
1. Skin and crush the garlic to a fine paste and add to a bowl
2. Finely chop the chilli and add to the garlic (there is no need to de-seed, it takes for ever and just doesn’t make any difference to the dish)
3. Cut the avocados in half length wise and remove the stone. Scoop out the flesh and add to the garlic and chilli
4. Mash or chop the avocado with the garlic and chilli (how long depends on the texture you want – rough is good)
5. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice of the lime over the guacamole, add the chopped coriander and stir.