This gluten free vegan warm pear salad is great as a light starter ahead of a substantial main like seasonal tarts and chopped green and root salad. A fabulous recipe for dinner parties! It is one of those really warming winter salads. You could use watercress instead of the spinach or rocket to add a lovely peppery taste.
1.5 tbs walnut oil
1.5 tbs olive oil
0.5 tsp mustard powder
1 tbs white wine vinegar
Pinch of sugar
30 g walnuts
2 pears (peeled, cored and cut into lengthways in to quarters)
1 tbs olive oil
60 g rocket
60 g spinach
Pinch fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine walnut oil, olive oil, mustard powder, white wine vinegar and sugar in a small jug. Set aside
2. Lighlty toast the walnuts in a large dry pan until lightly coloured and set aside
3. Put the olive oil in to the large pan over medium heat. Add the pears, cut side down
3. Sauté the pears until slightly caramelized but still firm. Remove the pears from the pan and keep warm.
4. Finely slice the spinach and arrange with the rocket on a large serving plate. Place the warm pears and walnuts over the top and drizzle the dressing over the top. Season with fleur de sel and black pepper.