This chickpea and walnut salad is one of many great gluten free vegan salads as part of a meze plate with potato salad, hoummus, olives and flat bread or an accompaniment to a delicious green salad. Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are a good source of protein, zinc and folate. Tinned chickpeas are absolutely fine if you don’t have time to soak dried ones. Walnuts are also a good source of protein and manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
100 g walnuts
2 cloves of garlic
1 can chick peas
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
2-3 tbs olive oil
1. Gently toast the walnuts in a clean, dry pan
2. Skin and finely chop the garlic on a large chopping board
3. Drain and rinse the chick peas and place on the chopping board with the toasted walnuts
4. Using a large, sharp knife chop the garlic, chick peas, walnuts and parsley together on the board. Make sure you rough chop them together very thoroughly on the board. (Do not use a food processor or blender as this would make the salad too smooth)
5. Place the mixture in to a serving bowl, stir in the olive oil and season.