Spiced chick peas (or spiced garbanzo beans) is a vegetarian classic adapted from a recipe in the fabulous Madhur Jaffrey’s World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking. The gluten free vegan recipe is tart and spicy and wonderful with plain rice, tzatziki (with mint) and/ or flat bread.
This will serve 4-6 easily.
5 tbs vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and minced
8 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tbs ground coriander seeds
2 tsp ground cumin seeds
0.25-0.5 tsp ground chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 can plum tomatoes
2 cans chickpeas
200 ml hot water
2 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
1 tbs ground amchoor
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp garam masala
0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tbs lemon juice
1 hot green chilli, minced (or to taste)
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1. In a large pan heat the oil over a medium flame. Finely chop the onions and garlic and add to the pan. Stir and fry until the mixture is a rich medium-brown shade.
2. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the coriander, cumin (not the roasted cumin), chilli powder and turmeric. Stir for a few seconds then add the tinned tomatoes (remove the cores if you like) rinsing the tin and adding all the juice to the pan. Cook until the tomatoes are well amalgamated
3. Drain the chickpeas and add to the pan with ~200 ml hot water. Stir well
4. Add the ground roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt, and lemon juice. Stir well. Cover, turn the heat to low, and simmer for ~10 mins.
5. Add the minced green chilli and grated ginger. Stir and cook, uncovered, for another 30 seconds.