These gluten free vegan seasonal tarts work so well for dinner parties – don’t be put off by making your own allergy friendly shortcrust pastry. It is such an easy recipe.
These vegetarian quiches can be made as one large tart or as individual tarts and are great served as a starter with rocket salad.
You can use any seasonal vegetables just keep it to two or three vegetables and make sure you precook the vegetables unless they will cook quickly in the oven.
Serve with a light green salad as a starter or a more substantial summer white salad as a main.
1. Pre-make the shortcrust pastry, rich tomato sauce and fried aubergine slices. Set aside
2. Preheat the oven to 190 C and grease the flan/ tart tins
3. Roll out the pastry and line the flan/ tart tin and place in the oven to ‘blind bake’ for ~20 mins or until lightly coloured. Remove to the oven and set aside
4. Add a small amount of vegetable oil to a large frying pan and add the mushrooms (cap side down) to the pan. Sprinkle with dried oregano and chilli flakes. Fry gently until the mushroom cap fills with liquid and then turn over and cook through
5. Assemble the flan/ tart. Put 1 tsp rich tomato sauce in to the bottom of each individual tart or 6 tsp in to a large flan and spread. Add a thin layer of fresh spinach leaves, aubergine and top with mushroom and fill with rich tomato sauce
6 Bake in the oven for ~15-20 mins until cooked through. Serve.