This gram flour quiche is a ‘crustless quiche’ and is great hot or cold with salad. It is a gluten free vegan recipe packed full of protein. Gram flour is also know as chickpea flour or garbanzo flour. Another inspiration from the fabulous Madhur Jaffrey. It’s a perfect gluten free recipe, dairy free recipe, egg free recipe. Perfect everything recipe.
The gram flour quiche is great with a simple green salad or chopped green and root salad or summer white salad. You can use this as a filling to a more traditional gluten free pastry quiche in the recipe for vegetarian seasonal tart.
225 g chickpea flour
1 l cold water
4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed to a pulp
0.5 tsp ginger, finely grated
1.5 tsp ground cumin
0.5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chill powder
1 medium onion
4 tbs vegetable oil
5-6 curry leaves (dried or fresh)
1 tsp salt
1 tbs lemon juice
2 green chillies, minced
15 g fresh coconut grated
1. Put the sifted chickpea flour in to a large bowl. Slowly add 1 litre water a few tablespoons at a time. Stir as you do so, breaking up all lumps with the back of a wooden spoon
2. In a small jug mix the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Add 60 ml water and mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy, pan over a medium flame.
4. Skin, cut the onion in half lengthwise and slice in to half rings
5. Add the curry leaves to the pan and then, a few seconds later the sliced onions. Fry the onions for 2-3 mins. Do not let them brown
6. Add the spices in the small cup and fry for about 1 min. Add the chickpea flour mixture and bring to a boil, stirring all the time
7. Turn the heat to medium-low and keep stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture seems to leave the sides of the pot. This should take about 20 mins
8. Add the salt and lemon juice. Stir well. Taste the chickpea flour mixture – it should have a cooked taste
9. Empty the mixture into a 23 x 23 x 4 cm tin. Smooth over the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the coriander, minced chillies (to taste) and coconut over the top and allow to cool. Cut into 4 cm squares.