Everyone loves chocolate cake and this gluten free vegan recipe is moist and delicious. The chocolate topping adds a lovely decadent touch and would be great for a birthday cake.
You can adapt the cake recipe batter to use for cup cake recipes or muffin recipes by lowering the oven temperature to 160 C and cooking for less time (check after 25 mins).
Great for birthday treats.
250 g gfv plain flour blend (rice flour also works well)
90 g cocoa powder
1.5 tbs gfv baking powder
125 g sugar
100 ml flavourless vegetable oil (rapeseed oil works well)
0.5 tbs black treacle
1.5 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs vanilla extract
250 ml warm water
For the chocolate topping you will need
30 g gfv margarine
1.5 tbs cornflour
3 tbs cocoa powder
3 tbs sugar
400 ml soya milk
1. Grease an 20 cm round cake tin and preheat the oven to 180 C
2. Place the flour, cocoa and baking powder in to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Mix well
3. Quickly add the oil, treacle, maple syrup, vanilla extract and warm water and beat together until well combined (a handmixer is good for this)
4. Pour the mixture in to the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 mins until a knife, or skewer, inserted in to the middle of the cake comes out clean
5. Allow to cool before removing from the tin
6. To make the chocolate topping melt the margarine in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the cornflour and, stirring continuously, add the cocoa powder and sugar. Heat gently for 1-2 mins
7. Add the soya milk 1-2 tbs at a time, stirring continuously, until all the soya milk has been added. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens. Allow to cool
8. When the cake and topping are cool smooth the topping over the top (and sides if you like) or the cake. Serve.