Carrot cake with lemon buttercream icing (or frosting) is one of the great gluten free vegan staple recipes to have to hand. It is very good and always receives rave reviews. The recipe for icing is easy. The icing is a decadent addition and makes a really rich cake. The cake works perfectly well (and is maybe a little healthier) without the icing.
You could use this cake recipe for an individual cupcake recipe or muffin recipe. To make cupcakes use the same batter. When cooking lower the oven temperature to 150 C and cook for slightly less time (check after 30 mins). Top with the lemon buttercream icing.
250 g carrots
250 g gfv plain flour blend (I have also used just rice flour and it works well)
1 tbs gfv baking powder
60 g sultanas
125 g gfv margarine
125 g sugar
For the lemon buttercream icing you will need
120 g gfv margarine
250 g icing sugar
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Grease a 18 cm circular cake tin and preheat the oven to 165 C
2. Peel (or scrub) and grate your carrots and set aside
3. Put the flour, baking powder and sultanas in to a large mixing bowl and mix. Add the carrots to the flour and toss until the carrots are coated in flour
4. Place the margarine in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved and remove from the heat. Pour over the flour and carrot mixture and mix well
5. Pour the cake mixture in to the cake tin and bake for ~50 mins until a sharp knife, or skewer, inserted in to the centre of the cake comes out clean
6. Allow to cool before removing from the tin
7. To make the lemon buttercream icing add the margarine to a small mixing bowl and cream 60 g icing sugar at a time until all the icing sugar is fully blended (a handmixer is very good for this)
8. Add the lemon juice a splash at a time followed by the lemon zest and vanilla extract. Beat for 3-5 mins until smooth and fluffy. Store in the fridge until required.
9. When the cake is cool spread the lemon buttercream icing over the top. Serve.