Gluten free vegan shortcrust pastry is much easier than you ever imagined. The dairy free pastry, egg free pastry, gluten free pastry is an easy recipe. The principles of ‘normal’ pastry apply (e.g. half fat to flour plus sugar for sweet pastry) and although the results are slightly different they are very satisfying.
The pastry produced is slightly lighter in colour and more crumbly in texture. It lends itself particularly well to tarts and fruit crumbles. It can be used in savoury recipes or sweet recipes. Try seasonal tarts or adapt your favourite gluten recipes using this pastry.
You can use a food processor to make this but be careful not to overwork it. Making the pastry by hand is easy but a little more hard work.
240 g gfv plain four blend (rice flour alone also works very well)
120 g gfv margarine (hard preferred or straight from the fridge)
0.5 tsp xanthan gum
60 g sugar (for sweet pastry only)
2-4 tbs cold water
1. Sift the flour and xanthan gum in to a food processor or mixing bowl
2. Cut the margarine in to cubes and pulse in the processor, or rub in with your finger tips, until the mixture begins to resemble breadcrumbs
3. If you are making sweet pastry add the sugar now and mix gently
4. Add the cold water 1 tbs at a time and pulse until the mixture begins to form a dough. Pull the mixture together in to a ball and kneed gently until smooth (~1-2 mins)
5. Wrap in clingfilm or put in a freezer bag and place in a fridge until required
6. The pastry will keep for up to a week in the fridge and also freezes well
7. Use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry to the required size. To stop sticking use a small quantity of rice flour or roll it out between two sheets of clingfilm or silicone sheets