A good gluten free vegan recipe for bread is so hard to find. Bread recipes are a real art to master but when you do there is no looking back! Try sprinkling olive oil, sesame seeds and chilli flakes on them just before they go in to the oven.
The trick with this recipe is a hot oven and to time the cooking right – some ovens will cook quicker than other ovens so you might need to experiment. The flat breads freeze really well.
Great with hoummus and olives and guacamole and…
To roll the dough without sticking roll between two sheets of cling film. It makes the dough much easier to handle.
1 pack dried yeast (~ 7 g)
125 ml warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
240 g brown rice flour
65 g tapioca flour
130 g sorghum flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1.25 tsp salt
250 ml lukewarm water (or less depending on the dough)
1 tbs ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbs warm water
1. Dissolve yeast in 125 ml warm water. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 10-15 mins until frothy
2. Combine flours, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl using a heavy-duty mixer (you can do this by hand but it will take a bit more time and muscle). Pour in yeast mixture and flax mixture and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment
3. Slowly add 125-250 ml warm water and mix on medium for 2 mins. Add enough water so that dough is soft and every so slightly tacky (not sticky or liquid)
4. Divide dough in to 6-10 small pieces and place between two sheets of cling film
5. Roll each piece into a square or rectangle approximately and 0.4 cm thick, with a rolling pin
6. Trim the sides of each square or rectangle and cut in to size (I usually trim each piece to 10 x 15 cm)
7. Place each piece on cling film and sprinkle with your choice of seeds and/ or flakes. Place a layer of cling film on top and cover all pieces with a clean tea towel. Leave in a warm place for 30-60 mins
8. Preheat oven to 230 C. Lower oven rack to bottom position and place baking sheet(s) in oven to warm
9. Place the bread on the warm trays, sprinkle with olive oil, and put in to the oven for 4-8 mins. As soon as they start to colour remove from the oven
10. Allow the bread to cool and enjoy! The bread freezes really well and can be warmed under a grill.