Cornbread – a favourite in the southern states of the US – is a great accompaniment to Mexican bean pot, guacamole and salads when the weather turns cold. You could also make the cornbread muffins using the same recipe in muffin tins (just lower the oven temperature to ~180 C and reduce the cooking time slightly).
2 tbs ground flax seeds
6 tbs water
60 g gluten free plain flour
40 g cup brown rice flour
30 g corn flour
150 g cornmeal
55 g sugar
4 tsp gf baking powder
0.75 tsp sea salt
240 ml soya milk
60 ml vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 220 C
2. Grease a 20 cm square baking dish
3. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan
4. Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the gf plain, rice and corn flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
6. Add the ground flax seed mixture, soya milk, and vegetable oil to the flour mixture and beat just until smooth (do not over beat)
7. Turn into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
8. Cool on wire rack for approx. 10 mins then turn right side up and continue to cool until just warm.