At the very, very end of the fig season in the UK – what do you do with the figs that are mature but not ripe – green figs? You could make jam or chutney but why not make candied green figs. They are naturally gluten free and vegan, keep well and make great presents.
You can scale the ingredients up or down depending upon how many figs you have.
800 g green figs
500 g sugar
200 ml water
1. Sort through the figs and discard any that are discoloured or have pitted skin. Wash the figs
2. Place the figs in a large pan with the sugar and water and place on a low heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for one hour
3. Turn off the heat, cover and leave to stand for 24 hours
4. Uncover and bring to the boil again for one hour. Cover and stand for 24 hours. Repeat daily until all the syrup has been absorbed
5. Evenly space the figs on parchment on a baking tray to dry in a low oven – 80-90 C for 8-12 hours before turning for 8-12 hours further. The figs should be soft and a little sticky. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.