These gluten free vegan biscuits (or gluten free vegan cookies) are from the excellent book by Pippa Kendrick: The Intolerant Gourmet. Pippa’s receipes are allergy freindly and free from gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and yeast and whilst not entirely vegan the book has great recipes and ideas to inspire those wanting to live a gluten free vegan lifestyle.
Pippa suggests a few variations below and I have added my favourites; peanut butter and ginger and lemon.
Ingredients for basic dough
125 g gfv margarine
75 g light brown sugar
150 g gfv plain flour
75 g gfv self raising flour
Ingredients for variations
Cinnamon 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tbs ground flax seeds
Custard crunch 2 heaped tsp gfv custard powder
Peanut butter and chocolate 2 tbs peanut butter, 50 g gfv chocolate roughly chopped
Pecan and vanilla 100 g pecans toasted and roughly chopped, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Sultana and spice 1 tsp mixed spice, 50 g sultanas, 50 g sunflower seeds
Peanut butter 2 tbs crunchy peanut butter, grated rind of 1 lemon
Ginger and lemon 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, grated rind of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 170 C and line and grease two baking trays
2. In a large bowl cream together the margarine and sugar until pale and creamy. Sift in the flours and add one of the variation ingredients (if using) and mix until well combined. Then use your hands to form the mixture in to a loose dough
3. Pinch off small amounts of dough and, using the palms of your hands, roll in to balls ~2.5 cm in diameter and place on the baking sheets evenly spaced
4. Use the back of a fork to ‘squash’ the dough on the baking sheets so they are ~ 1 cm deep and the dough becomes a little rough around the edges
(5. Alternatively you can place the mixture between two sheets of clingfilm and using a rolling pin roll to ~1 cm deep and cut out shapes using cookie cutters)
6. Bake in the oven for 15-17 mins (switching baking sheets between shelves and rotating 180 degrees after 7 mins) until lightly golden brown
7. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool and serve.